[discuss] [IANAtransition] A Summary of IANA Oversight Transition Tasks and Issues

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 00:24:31 UTC 2014

On 02/04/2014 13:16, David Conrad wrote:
> Brian,
>
> On Apr 2, 2014, at 4:19 AM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Those with a vested interest are the least trustworthy overseers.
>
> Without commenting on the DNSA or other structural separation proposals:
>
> The IETF oversees the operation of the protocol parameter function.
> The RIRs oversee the operation of the numbers allocation function.
>
> Both of these entities would appear to have vested interest.

Well, I guess everybody has a vested interest when you come down
to it. Isn't that the reason for having all stakeholders involved,
so that no vested interest can predominate? However, in this
game, it seems to be the case that DNS registrars have a very
specific and direct financial interest.

   Brian