[discuss] Why oversight? (was Re: Opportunity for input on the development process forIANAoversight transition plan)

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Apr 2 12:47:51 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 02 April 2014 05:24 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
> There's a lot in parminder's mail that's outside my area
> of expertise and with which I might or might not (dis)agree,
> but just one comment on one word...
>
> On 04/02/2014 11:58 AM, parminder wrote:
>> I read mails here, for instance one from Stephan Farell, on 31st March,
>> that IETF is *not* meant to take into account public policy concerns in
>> any systematic way. IETF and other such technical processes are not
>> developed to understand political equality, representation, democratic
>> legitimacy, and such things. They are based on very different kinds of
>> principles which may well be best for their delegated technical functions.
> "Delegated" isn't right there IMO. AFAIK people participate in the
> IETF because they and (for most) their current sponsors want that
> to happen. And the IETF is relevant because it does a good job so
> many many more people than actively participate choose to use its
> output.

A political community is based on an implied 'social contract' which is
often a political fiction, although very useful, even indispensable, to
construct political legitimacy, This implied social contract is mostly
coded in a political constitution, which although mostly 'real' could
also be fictional, as in the case of UK.

I understand that at present we are trying to understand and form
consensus on different global governance roles  vis a vis the Internet,
based on some, I understand or at least hope, undisputed political
principles of democracy, rule of law and the such. We also have to build
upon some specific characteristics of the Internet technology and
historical sites and means of its technical and other forms of governance.

In this attempt to appropriately address the current 'constitutional
moment' with regard to the technical/operational governance of the
Internet , we may need to employ some political concepts and
corresponding 'political fictions' . In that sense, though no one at
present delegates technical standards making role to the IETF (although
it is delegated by the US gov in the case of ICANN), it is normally
accepted that technical functions of public importance, although often
undertaken by expert technical bodies, must be subject to larger public
oversight through appropriate institutional forms. It is in this sense
that the political/ public administration concept of 'delegated
authority' was used by me, which is admittedly fictional in the present
context (it is simply hoped/ imagined that IETF does its work as per
wider public interest, and per the public policies developed to that
effect).

The fact that, using the new Internet context, IETF crowd-sources
expertise in a very effective way, which enables it to undertaken its
technical functions in a much better manner, does not obviate the need
for public oversight. Expertise of whatever kind does not replace
political legitimacy, and we know, and, Stephen, you will agree, that
IETF almost exclusively deals with expertise and technical merit.

parminder