[discuss] ICANN accountability and Internet Governance Principles

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Thu Apr 3 10:47:41 UTC 2014

Hi all,

On Thursday, 3 April 2014, Mike Roberts <mmr at darwin.ptvy.ca.us> wrote:

> Milton - you are absolutely correct.  But an important related question is
> whether that really changes with expiration of the IANA contract.

Fundamentally and absolutely the answer is yes. If there is no longer a
contract can you tell me how 'big power' gets control back? The US could
nationalise bits of the system remaining in the US, but how long would that
remain the case once the contract ended?

I am presuming the USG does actually intend a real transition, not a faux
one that leaves a behind the scenes lever in place. They've pitched a
genuine transition and I believe that is what they want.

Jordan

Jordan Carter
Chief Executive, InternetNZ

+64-21-442-649 | jordan at internetnz.net.nz