[discuss] NETmundial / Neelie Kroes: My thoughts on NETmundial and the Future of Internet Governance

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Sat Apr 12 19:03:47 UTC 2014

Please include in your notes an enthusiastic fan letter from me.  I found her remarks to the HLMC, which I obviously am not at liberty to share, an absolute breath of fresh air, and I applaud the release of this statement and her insistence on the protection of privacy and human rights.
I am not a political scientist like Milton, so I hesitate to say this....but I think our democratic problems are indeed inherently contradictory.  If one lives in a nation state that has a strong constitution that protects human rights, and one has national privacy legislation that protects one's privacy and security, is it crazy to not want to keep that?  If I were a European Citizen, would I give up the Charter and Court of Human Rights?  On the other hand, a global multi-stakeholder organization that is still inchoate needs to be created to continue to build the Internet, but it is a mystery to me how we persuade nation states to give up their aspirations for control on an equal footing.  Some aspirations for control are beneficent, others less so and until we see a demonstrated non-government organization that protects rights, and/or leaves power at the nation-state to fully protect rights, I am afraid I have a foot on each log going down the river. I like Avri's vision (last paragraph) but I don't think we have built it yet.  Many of our trade negotiations have been disappointing in this regard.
Stephanie Perrin