[discuss] Dear ICANN - Feedback

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Apr 14 10:07:27 UTC 2014

On Monday 14 April 2014 03:10 PM, Joseph Alhadeff wrote:
> It would seem that such a committee should be made up of a broad cross section of stakeholders.  All groups have a stake in these discussions, not just self appointed representatives of the public interest.

First of all no self appointed representative is a representative - it
is a contradiction in terms. It is for this reason that
'representativity' has to be constantly interrogated - as is ingrained
in the philosophy, norms and practices of democracy. Whereas the MS- ist
(multistakeholderist) model is mostly rather unconcerned about such things.

As for stakeholder interests versus public interest, this is an
interesting debate. This binary is basic to the distinction between
MSism and democracy. I can discuss that if you have the time and
inclination, but will pass it for now. Just to say, public interest is
everyone's equitable interest and includes all groups - only the means
of inclusion and relative weight-age is based on much clearer and
democratic terms than it is in a self appointed MS system where a few
groups declare themselves as stakeholders and begin taking decision
through mutual bargains among themselves - decisions that implicate
everyone, meaning the larger public.

>   We keep on hearing the need for openness and transparency and then see the concepts applied only in favor of the proponent of a specific idea.

Are you calling basing Internet governance on public interest just a
specific idea... If so, what are the other, counter, ideas?

parminder