[discuss] Dear ICANN - Feedback

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Tue Apr 15 05:14:49 UTC 2014

Maybe it's too late here and there's a total eclipse of the moon
coming provoking lunacy but...

Wouldn't the easiest way to create a broad community participation be
to just use the whois database(s)?

If you own one or more domains (or IP address or ASN, etc.) you are
part of the public interest community.

That body politic can be declared a stakeholder group, optionally
informed, and can vote and/or be polled on issues.

I realize there are problems with details but it seems to me we keep
making the best the enemy of the good. We can't get everyone involved
-- who is everyone? where would you put them? -- so let's get no one
(other than the highly motivated, self-selected: HMSS) involved.

I don't know how many unique entities are in the whois dbs but it has
to be O(100M), no? (maybe that's jargon, O(100M) means: On The Order
of 100M, roughly 100M, a closer approximation than 10M or 1B.)

It seems to me going from the HMSS to O(100M) participants would have
to stifle the impression that there's too little "public interest"
participation.

Want to get involved? Buy a domain name, or become the point person
for an organization which owns a domain name. It's not exactly a high
barrier to entry. And we have all the contact info.

Rather than the usual urge to drop into nit-picking about
implementation and boundry/definitional problems assume those don't
exist, assume it's just a big red button you can press on your screen
to make it so.

Why is it a good or a bad idea?

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada