[discuss] [IANAtransition] Troll

Shatan, Gregory S. GShatan at ReedSmith.com
Tue Apr 15 21:53:28 UTC 2014

"Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument."

I don't see anything ad hominem about Jay Daley's message, since it goes to the nature of the texts, not the writer.  On the other hand, accusing someone of being a mouthpiece for another organization or "blundering", strikes me as ad hominem.

Greg Shatan

-----Original Message-----
From: ianatransition-bounces at icann.org [mailto:ianatransition-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of Jefsey
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:45 PM
To: Jay Daley; ianatransition at icann.org; discuss at 1net.org List
Subject: Re: [IANAtransition] Troll

At last!

It took time! To know what would be the ICANN decision!
So it is delivered through an NZ ad-hominem. Good, now we know.

Sorry, I am quite buzzy right now....
I will come back on this later on.

jfc

PS. If this was not an ICANN decision but an individual blunder, ICANN people can let me know.

At 22:51 15/04/2014, Jay Daley wrote:
>Are there others out there who would agree with me that this list is
>being overwhelmed by messages from at least one troll?  In
>particular messages that make ludicrous claims, provide nonsensical
>analysis, follow arbitrary directions and altogether are disruptive
>to the conversation taking place?
>In my view this list is too important and already too time consuming
>to allow any trolls to disrupt it in this way.
>If so then what if any process do we have for removing such a troll?
>I note that the IETF, which is a long established multi-stakeholder
>organisation has also had problems like this and has occasionally
>had to ban people.  Those bans were then subject to two levels of appeal:
>
>https://www.ietf.org/iesg/appeal.html
>https://www.iab.org/appeals/
>
>cheers
>Jay
>
>PS I have posted the same message to discuss at 1net.org

                                                                * * *

This E-mail, along with any attachments, is considered
confidential and may well be legally privileged. If you have received it in
error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify us immediately by reply
e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy it or
use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other
person. Thank you for your cooperation.

                                                                * * *

To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we
inform you that, unless otherwise indicated in writing, any U.S. Federal tax
advice contained in this communication  (including any attachments) is not
intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (1)
avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state
and local provisions or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another
party any tax-related matters addressed herein.
                                                                        Disclaimer Version RS.US.20.10.00