[discuss] we need to fix what may be broken

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 22:42:30 UTC 2014

Carlos,

To be fair, you have enumerated a lot of issues, of which I would agree that the majority are real problems.  But some are not problems that specifically relate to Internet governance unless you dramatically expand the meaning of the term; they are the result of the availability of the Internet and the inevitable migration of ALL forms of human behavior to the the net.

But most of the problems that you mention are not at issue in terms of the NTIA-IANA transition.    Now your intervention is perfectly OK if you believe that Net Mundial should cover so many problems at so many levels.  If you do so, however, the current plans for the Net Mundial structure are hopelessly inadequate, and we will need a meeting of at least 3-4 weeks, appropriately segmented, to deal with the issues you raise.

I would like again to argue strongly for well defined problem statements, so that we have the possibility of addressing each separately and definitively.  Until we do this, the mix of generalities, allegations, and misinformation will prevail.

There’s an old joke that I think applies here.

You take your girlfriend and some friends to a night club.  She has too much to drink, takes off some of her clothes, gets up on top of the table and starts dancing.

If you are embarrassed, that is _your_ problem.

If your friends become embarrassed, that is _their_ problem.

If your girlfriend gets arrested by the police, that is _her_ problem.

When defining problems, it is really quite important to determine whose problem it really is.  I suggest that this method be applied to your list of problems.

As usual, fraternal regards,

George