[discuss] What is MSism?

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Wed Apr 16 04:43:18 UTC 2014

McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> [2014-04-15 22:31:02 -0500]:
> In addition to what Alejandro says below, if I understand correctly,
> Wikipedia has layers of hierarchy AND Staff who make decisions.

Sounds like ICANN to me (even though Wikipedia has fewer layers of
heirarchy), with the additional parallel of Jimmy Wales playing the role
of NTIA on English Wikipedia: Having certain 'admin' powers but not
really exercising/abusing them.

I don't quite know what you mean by "staff who make decisions".  As far
as I am aware, staff cannot make any decisions about Wikipedia
governance or Wikipedia policy.  They help run the admin work around the
projects, help fundraise, provide legal support, help spread the
community, etc.  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation
for further details.

And IETF too has "layers of hierarchy" -- community-created and
community-appointed, of course, just like Wikipedia -- with its area
directors and working group chairs and liaisons and NomCom.

By bringing up "layers of hierarchy AND staff who make decisions", do
you mean that organizations that have layers of hierarchy and have staff
are *not* multistakeholder?  Or that Wikipedia's governance processes
too are multistakeholder?  Or that for some hitherto unmentioned reason
processes that don't have a spillover effect aren't multistakeholder?

For a word that is used in every single discussion around Internet
governance, there seems to be a complete lack of a firm meaning with the
only agreement being that it is something that we all want.

As Laura DeNardis and Mark Raymond argue in the paper they presented at
the Bali IGF, "The phrase multistakeholderism is too often employed
uniformly and even uncritically, and risks becoming a mere shibboleth."

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society