[discuss] NTIA "Oversight" (was Dear ICANN - Feedback)

Mahesh Uppal mahesh.uppal at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 14:33:30 UTC 2014

Friends,

To take the discussion forward and to respond to George's comment on my
post 2 days ago.

Mr. Uppal says that "oversight is the real issue, not the nitty gritty
functioning of IANA or ICANN.  If we are talking about the NTIA transition
of an IANA function, I think that it's all nitty gritty.  Mr. Uppal, what
do you mean by oversight when you make this statement?  Can you answer the
following questions with enough specificity to sustain a meaningful
dialogue:

1. Oversight specifically over what, by whom, for what purpose, and how
will it support the transition of the NTIA function?

By oversight, I mean policy authority of the ICANN/IANA function. This is
my understanding of the broad role that NTIA or USG play  currently,
 including the authority over root zone file. I am less concerned with the
'nitty gritty'.

I see ICANN/IANA function as regulatory one to be performed, as is
typically the case in most jurisdictions, under a
policy/ legislative mandate. This is for example the case with most
regulators eg. FCC. They derive their functions and considerable powers
through legislation or  govt policy.

This is even more important today since serious questions have arisen about
the neutrality of the policy and therefore regulatory function implied
in internet
governance. Internet touches people and users far beyond the US. Therefore
the US owes its to the community at large to ensure that the key functions
in internet governance have a higher level of legitimacy than currently.

2. What is the extent and what are the limits of such oversight?

I believe I have answered that above. The oversight may be rarely
necessary. In regulatory lingo, oversight would be by exception, not rule.
In other words, only in specific circumstances, not routinely.

3. Specifically what are the organizations to which such oversight would
apply, what would be the nature and extent of the oversight, and what
measures of accountability would be placed upon the organizations by the
oversight body.

I do not see the need for any additional oversight over  technical or
'clerical' functions. So, nothing should change for most of the existing
bodies beyond ICANN.

4. How would the oversight body be chosen?  What objectives would fashion
the choices?

The main requirement would be to create body/institution which is widely
acceptable and credible enough to inspire trust which has been dented
somewhat in recent times.

Regards

Mahesh

mahesh.uppal at gmail.com    |    mobile +91-98100-42969