[discuss] we need to fix what may be broken

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sat Apr 19 06:35:27 UTC 2014

On April 18, 2014 at 22:01 kstubbs at afilias.info (Ken Stubbs) wrote:
 > Ken Stubbs wrote:
 >
 > Pardon my ignorance here but,
 >
 > Why can't the RIR's add a small fee to the cost of each address block
 > and use the funds for education &
 > Evangelistic outreach.
 >
 > Why put that burden on somebody else ?
 >
 > Given the numbers of addresses issued a small fee would not be material
 > and would most probably
 > raise a substantial amount of "evangelistic funds" (avoiding the use of
 > the term "marketing" here) which could be allocated to regional
 > registries in a manner that was most efficient to enhance awareness .
 >
 > Just my 2 cents here

It's a fine idea but I don't think anyone was really speaking that
specifically. At least not me.

What I was trying to address was that someone had asserted that we
don't have a problem, or none that ICANN or others being discussed
here have any urgent interest in.

I said that I believe that to be an unwise view of the IPv6
transition.

As they say, first you have to agree that you have a problem...

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada