[discuss] let's get concrete

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 03:37:48 UTC 2014

There's another option: because they are doing the job now, and nobody
else wants it.

Given the amount of sheer greed we have seen around gTLDs since
the idea of adding new ones was first seriously raised, we would
have to question seriously the motivations of *anyone* who wants the
job, whether it's ICANN or some mysterious alternative.

Any motivation other than helping the Internet to work better would
be worrisome.

Phrases like "This Corporation is a nonprofit public benefit
corporation and is not organized for the private gain of any person"
and "the Corporation shall, except as limited by Article 5 hereof,
pursue the charitable and public purposes of lessening the burdens of
government and promoting the global public interest in the operational
stability of the Internet" would be needed.

In fact, the only change I'd like to see in ICANN's Articles of
Incorporation would be modification of Article 9 to forbid certain
phrases (such as those quoted above) from ever being amended.

   Brian