[discuss] Transition scope - a small thought-experiment

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 15:24:18 UTC 2014

Hello Jordan

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Jordan Carter <jordan at internetnz.net.nz>wrote:

> <snip> (following your guidance of not discussing what is in scope or not)
> I firmly believe that this community has the wit and the will to move
> towards a settlement that can work.

+1

> I also firmly believe that ICANN would do itself much credit if it argued
> the merits of its position in an open process, rather than trying to cut
> off options it doesn’t like before the community has a chance to fully work
> through them.

Like just like i said i also don't appreciate the manner with which the
scoping document was presented. The process should have been open and then
we all figure out what is workable in the best interest of the internet
operation and the global community.

However, if accountability and continued smooth operation of the IANA
function after NTIA withdraws is what we all care about then i can say its
achievable in the midst of the current status-quo. I suggest we don't get
distracted and lose sight of creating a mechanism that ensures that ICANN
does not become un-accountable as it operates IANA function. The mechanism
we propose should make ICANN always remember that "if it does not abide by
clearly stated rule" the function will be withdrawn. This is what the NTIA
over the years has challenged ICANN for and that challenge is what we need
to maintain.

Thanks a lot

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng