[discuss] [] FINAL VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT - FOR PRINTING

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Apr 26 19:59:27 UTC 2014

Hi,

And beyond exegesis and spin on the document we should try to import
some of those techniques into the IGF so that it can also learn how to
produce some outcomes, e.g. inputs from IGF to other Ig organizations.

Following the lead of NetMundial, it is time for the IGF MAG to throw
off its self imposed limitation of being merely a program committee so
it can make recommendations to the UNSG on how to turn the IGF into an
organization that can actually produce results.  While it is true that
the IGF has achieved a little just by existing, at this point if it
wants to remain viable it needs to move beyond its infancy and become a
useful organization.

In addition to some of the important work done by NetMundial in bridging
the gap between the Internet and Human Rights and opening the door to
discussions on revising the government defined roles and
responsibilities of the actors in the Internet ecosystem from 2003, it
has shown us that it is possible for a multistakeholder organization to
produce outcomes.  It is now time for the IGF to figure out how to do
the same.

Additionally, the NetMundial has sent some tasks the IGF's way.  I look
forward to work on such issues as Net Neutrality at IGF2014.

The mission of the IGF has been given a real push by NetMundial, I hope
we don't waste the opportunity.

avri