[discuss] Greetings from a new convener !

Adiel Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Sat Aug 2 17:08:26 UTC 2014

Dear Paul,

First of all, thank you and APNINC for accepting to take up the responsibility. As you may all know, 2 months ago I have expressed my intention not to continue the coordination role[1] and have kindly asked for volunteer(s) to replace me and look at ways to revive the initiative. I’m now very happy to see APNIC engagement on this.

I still fundamentally believe that /1net is a unique opportunity for us to be truly and globally inclusive showing the word that we can listen to everyone’s concern, try to understand them and provide healthy discussion around it. We probably haven’t been able to structured this the way it should be and sometime frustration has emerged from repetitive posts that could be considered as noise/nuisance to the list, but I believe that many who pay careful attention to some of the discussion have taken substantive knowledge and information out of it. The Internet has grown to a point today that we all have to learn to leave and cope with a wider variety of interested people (some with sound background of its governance and operations, some without and some with strong divergent view). Our challenge is to manage all of that in a way that we continue to protect the stability, security and resilience of the Internet we know today and the one of tomorrow that we don’t quiet know well yet. I several times try to compare /1net to an online “extension” of the IGF in the way that it bring everyone on equal footing to this list to discuss issues and share views. I hope that we will continue do so finding the to better structure the outcome.

Thanks to you all who have continuously engaged with the list and listers. A particular thanks to John Curran as well for his very high level engagement and this since the very early stage to explain sometime in simple words some of the technical specificity of the way the Internet work today and where the challenges lie.

I wish to Paul and his team success taking this forward. I will personally continue to provide support where needed and engage with the list (maybe even more now than before). This has been a very enriching experience to me.

Thanks.

- a. [1] - [http://1net-mail.1net.org/pipermail/steercom/2014-May/000602.html]