[discuss] Boundaries and sovereignty

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sun Feb 2 18:13:38 UTC 2014

On Feb 2, 2014, at 9:11 AM, JFC Morfin <jefsey at jefsey.com> wrote:

> In order to correctly document and keep the top zone clean, we would need a permanent survey of the top zone consistency and reality, in calling each name server and asking it for the list of the TLDs of which they are currently keeping track of in their buffers and the associated name servers.

JFC -

Interesting concept...  thank you for expressing it clearly above.

In such a model, can I understand what you propose would happen when two name servers
both have TLD's of the same name but different content?  I can easily see how content could
be aggregated when non-overlapping TLDs appear (e.g. the appearance of ".jcurranslongishTLD"
would not likely to appear in any other name server other than the one I inserted it into, and hence
it's propagation would therefore be relatively safe), but the appearance of a second ".com" whose
subdomains had conflicts or regional TLD and commercial TLD of the same name could be very
problematic.   Do you propose inconsistent resolution based on the user's resolver configuration
of region/locale/provider, or blocking of all conflicting TLDs till manual resolution, or some other
mechanism?

Thanks,
/John

Disclaimer:  My views alone.