[discuss] History/Summary of discussion on /1net till 30/01/2014

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 03:24:23 UTC 2014

Hi Adiel,

you didn't answer my questions.

Anyway, I find three things wrong with this document: 1-Origin, 2-Style,
3-Content.

1- If this document is your personal summary (or intended as a summary) you
should state so and put your name on it. As it is looks like a 1net
generated document, which is not, not even by the SC.

2- The style is confusing, what happened on the list is on the archives. By
cherry picking particular messages with links to them explaining what they
say or represent is very subjective. If you want to write a paper about
this, write a paper not a long list of URLs with sideline commentaries.

If you want to have a document generated by 1net, particularly about the
second section where the author proposes a list of issues and some sort of
characterization and qualification with the "Explanation of topic factors"
you should involve the rest of the community and this should be a
collaborative effort.

The "Explanation of topic factors" matrix is also very subjective.

3- Just to mention a few:

"widely anticipated". "much-anticipated" meeting in Brazil ?

There was no anticipation, this meeting was suddenly pushed through the
throat of the Internet community.

"Unsurprisingly for an organization that was created in short order"

What organization ? Since when 1net is an organization ?

You seem to go in circles trying to define what 1net is (or some wish it to
be,) the document starts with exactly that identity crisis, "initiative",
"dialogue", you forgot: movement, framework, open forum, etc, etc.

"/1net is official partner"

Once again, who is 1net? what is 1net? how it can be "official" ?

Also is it 1net or /1net ? What is the meaning of the slash ?

If we want to stop being US centric, "Freedom of expression" was not
invented by the gringos and it should not be based on the US Bill of Rights.

Surveillance is not just "NSA/Snowden", people seem to be fixated on
Snowdenia and forget that the problem is pervasive surveillance, primarily
by state actors, and big data collection and mining by corporations.

My .02

Regards
Jorge