[discuss] Clarifications on some recent Changes

Chip Sharp (chsharp) chsharp at cisco.com
Wed Feb 5 17:05:11 UTC 2014

Dear Adiel,

Thank you for the explanation below.  I suppose I stumbled upon the forum before you had a chance to announce it.
I was only just able to subscribe to the discuss list, though I've been following it via the archive.  It seems I stumbled upon an interesting corner case when using IPv6 between mail servers.*

In short, I think it is useful to have a periodic summary of the discussions and try to organize the issues discussed.
The success of moving from mail list discussion to forum-based discussion can depend on the implementation.  I'm willing to work with it though if it helps organize the discussion and if I can still post via email.  There are times when traveling when I can read and send email, but not use a web-based discussion forum. I've been using mail list discussion for over 25 years so I'm used to it.  I haven't found web-based discussion fora to be as easy to use.
But I'm willing to work with it.

As for logging in, I'd prefer not to have to do so, but it isn't going to stop me from participating.

As for communication to /1net, I think it would be useful to announce plans to take actions like these at least in parallel to them if not before.  I understand that sometimes that doesn't make sense, but it could help cut down on surprises.

Also, though I know this isn't something you can do, it would be useful for the Steering Committee to publish summary minutes of its meetings/calls.

Thanks!
Chip

* Reputation-based anti-spam systems can have widely different reputations for the IPv4 address than the IPv6 address for a mail server.  Tracking that down and getting it changed can take some time.  I assume web reputation systems can have the same issue.

On Feb 5, 2014, at 7:14 AM, Adiel Akplogan <adiel at afrinic.net> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Here below is an attempt to answer some of the questions questions that come up on the mailing list along with further explanation of some of the recent changes we have brought to the /1net list and operation mainly:
>
> 1. the Post of a summary of what’s happened on the mailing list since it was created
> 2. the update of the website with launch of an online forum
...snip…

** I am employed by Cisco Systems, Inc, but these comments reflect my own opinion and not any position of Cisco. **