[discuss] Criteria for Internet Governance (was) Re: List announcement "robust governance in the digital age"

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Wed Feb 12 17:11:06 UTC 2014

I love this political-mathematical "single unitary root" incantative
mantra of networkers who confuse a network and a network unit.

A root is a root, is not a forest. The Internet is a global catenet,
i.e. (cf. Louis, Vint, and DARPA) a "collection of packet networks
which are connected together".

ICANN manages the ARPANET root. Period. And I do not give a damn
about its everything but MSist approaches. I do not feel concerned.

My machine has a root and is the root of my network. I manage my
root, the root file of my network, my HomeRoot, and my network the
way I want. Period.

My network is internetworked with the ARPANET network and many
others. MSism is for billions of people, including ICANN, to make
sure that our roots files are consistent.

Globalization in (Unicode originated) technical terminology means:

- internationalization of the protocols and addresses (that all of
our systems can talk together, worldwide).
- localization of our machines (that they can relate with each of us,
in the way we understand them)
- a common categorization. In languages, categorization is by
languages, scripts, and country, and in digital names it is by TLD and classes.

Everything else is B.S.

History suggests that in the absence of the counter-strategic
purchase of Tymnet by McDonnell Douglas in 1983, the FCC would not
have been superseded by Eisenhower's (*) military-industrial complex
in the digisphere networking leadership. ICANN would be one of the
stakeholders in the World Digisphere Organization that we need.

jfc

(*) In 1961, he "tried to make Americans more mistrustful of the
encroachments of a national-security state" (O. Knox). In 2014, Obama
says: "This is only going to work if the American people have
confidence and trust". They do what they want: I prefer to check,
review, and enhance, on my own and with my fellow users, everything
from the digital ground zero in terms of NSA proof network
effilience. You can understand once bitten, twice suspicious.