[discuss] Possible approaches to solving "problem no. 1"

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Feb 13 12:41:55 UTC 2014

> Oh – and I wouldn’t call it denationalisation of the IANA function. I would
> call it multistakeholder management and authorisation of  [former] IANA
> functions within the ICANN structure.

Conceptually I have no objection to this re-labeling. Aesthetically, its two steps down the road to ugliness. ;-)
I mean, de-nationalization isn’t pretty but at least it’s compact. “multistakeholder management and authorization of…..” is a mouthful and hey, it doesn’t fit on my bumper sticker.

>I suggest “former” because it might be strategically useful to let the name IANA die
> or change its name, in developing the new ICANN operational procedures to deal
> with these functions.

Good idea!
IANAdead