[discuss] Possible approaches to solving "problem no. 1"

Michel Gauthier mg at telepresse.com
Mon Feb 17 01:20:47 UTC 2014

At 01:36 17/02/2014, Steve Crocker wrote:
>However, the change would be noted very quickly, probably within
>minutes, and alarms would sound around the world.  System
>administrators and other technical people would quickly adjust the
>operations of their systems to mitigate the impact.

Dear Steve,

what you document is that everyone can mitigate a removal of a TLD
from the root. I suppose there is no intrinsic difference with
mitigating the removal of all the TLDs, i.e. the removal of the root?
This means there are two strategies that can be followed
(alternatively or in parallel):

- to be ready to mitigate
- or/and to install a permanent mitigating solution under the form of
an homeroot experimentation.

You explain that "root zone entries have a 48 hour time-to-live
(TTL), which means it will take two days before all of the caches
around the world are drained of the old entry.  Put a another way,
the impact would be about 2% per hour." This means that a daily run
of the projected EZOP application is enough to keep an HomeRoot in
tune with the top zone reality?

Do you have some figures on what EZOP wants to report in addition to
the root file, i.e. the number of name servers declared via the TLD
zone files which are not listed in the root file (I do not know how
one calls them)?

Thank you for your inputs.
M G