[discuss] Possible approaches to solving "problem no. 1"

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Feb 17 13:48:51 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian E Carpenter [mailto:brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com]

>There is no need to delegate anything new to ICANN. The global
>IANA function was delegated to them already, 14 years ago (with
>a six months notice clause). That's why I keep banging on about
>simply switching off the NTIA contract - it's a necessary and sufficient step.

We agree on this, as you'll see when we release the IGP proposal for the Brazil meeting.

>Moving ICANN to a more neutral jurisdiction is a separable step, but should also be on the agenda.

We also agree regarding its separability. It is very important to keep those two changes on separate tracks, as the first one (ending the special US control of IANA) is relatively simple and the latter (altering ICANN's incorporation, jurisdiction and/or accountability mechanisms, is very complex and is likely to be a lengthy process.