[discuss] Possible approaches to solving "problem no. 1"

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 20:35:54 UTC 2014

If the Board were to meet and pass a resolution to shift its registered
office to Geneva, then it would be submitted to the authorities in
California to justify a shift afterall ICANN is a not for profit
corporation registered under California laws.

This could mean expanding the Geneva office and operations but it would
still be pretty much a Not for Profit company registered in California with
its registered office in Geneva. Conversely one could argue that New York
is also home and Headquarters to some of the UN organisations, so even a
shift from California to New York is also a viable option.

If the institution were to go through structural overhaul where you have
several options:
a) winding up ICANN and rebirthing ICANN to have diplomatic standing;
b)not winding up ICANN but merely shifting its HQ from California to Geneva
or New York.
c)maintain the status quo but make ICANN more accessible globally as they
have been doing with the hubs - (although I still don't know why we don't
have a Pacific Hub yet when the middle east, africa and asia have been
getting hubs. There are 27 countries and territories in the Pacific region
that have ccTLDs and we should receive indiscriminate treatment)

There are several glitches that would need to be ironed out and that is
whether the decision must revert to IETF or to the wider community or
solely by NTIA and by extension the US Department of Commerce. At some
stage if there were a legal battle in the US to determine who assigned the
IANA function, there is potentially enough evidence for it to flip either
way - to the IETF or to NTIA. There are all kinds of issues such as whether
one of them could have been perceived to have waived their assignment
rights and whether this was done tacitly. Either way, it is calculated
chaos.

Offices can be opened and manned in different location but the concern *would
be in keeping the core critical internet infrastructure within the US* so
as not to interfere with Security, stability and resiliency.