[discuss] Possible approaches to solving "problem no. 1"

Christian de Larrinaga cdel at firsthand.net
Wed Feb 19 10:11:35 UTC 2014

LP Hartley wrote in the Go Between "The past is foreign country".  ICANN
is too fat to fit through the eye of the needle in front of it.

We all know it. Surely!?

Why would the US be unhappy being on the starting blocks with a  global
65% + market share of the domain business already in its jurisdiction?
Why would ICANN be unhappy with a tightly focused multi-stakeholder
global technical co-ordination role with prospect of the IANA function
included?

Why would international treaty organisations, NGOs and others not be
interested in assisting and taking roles in co-ordinating parts of the
multi stakeholder communities they are close to and needed to interact
usefully with technical co-ordination ?  It is not as if there are not a
lot of operational and other issues that need urgent work from deploying
and using digital networks outside ICANN and IANA remits that dwarf
these resource specific technical policy challenges.

Christian