[discuss] Artificial conflation of issues not helpful. [Was: Digest, Vol 3, Issue 67]

Shatan, Gregory S. GShatan at ReedSmith.com
Wed Feb 19 20:35:48 UTC 2014

Dominique:

Evidence of what?

Evidence that the US (and quite a number of other countries) engages in surveillance – yes.

Evidence that the US (and other countries) may overstep its bounds when engaging in surveillance – also yes.

Evidence that there is a linkage between the NSA activities and technical management of the root?  Show us where.  Prove your claims.  I don’t see it.

Evidence that there is a linkage between the location of ICANN and the IANA function and an advantage to the NSA?  Show us where.  Prove your claims.  I don’t see it.

You can’t just wave your hand and claim that the Patriot Act and NSA revelations are evidence of any specific thing, without being specific.

As for the burden of proof, it is the accuser that bears the burden of proof (except perhaps under totalitarian regimes) – at least by a preponderance of the evidence, if not by some greater measure (e.g., clear and convincing evidence, beyond a reasonable doubt).  If there is any “reversal” of the burden of proof, you are engaging in it.

If you have no proof, and you are just going on atmospherics and “questions of trust,” just say so.  You can be as suspicious as you like.  But if you want others to take action based on your suspicions, you’ll have to do better.

Greg Shatan