[discuss] Artificial conflation of issues not helpful. [Was: Digest, Vol 3, Issue 67]

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Feb 19 23:36:10 UTC 2014

On 19-Feb-14 21:16, Alejandro Pisanty wrote:
> One would wish that the surveillance issue were being addressed with the
> same energy. It is not and it will not.

I think that if you look at the work being started in the IETF, you will
find great deals of energy being expended on fixing the actual problem,
the technical weaknesses that allowed such pervasive surveillance to be
done so easily.  This despite the distraction of the political problems
the NSA problem have caused.

I believe this is a serious problem and it is being dealt with in an
appropriate way - close the technical holes as best they can be closed.

I also believe that it is being dealt with in the political sphere with
principles, policies and eventual agreements on proper forms of
behavior.  Not that nations will stop spying for as long as states exist.

In my view conflating the issues is just a cynically opportunistic
method of trying to achieve political critical Internet resource goals
that have nothing to do with the serious problem of state surveillance
on the world's people.

avri