[discuss] Artificial conflation of issues not helpful. [Was: Digest, Vol 3, Issue 67]

Christian de Larrinaga cdel at firsthand.net
Thu Feb 20 13:46:30 UTC 2014

I agree with you that the surveillance issue needs distinctive treatment.

The reason why I think it is polluting into the IANA /ICANN function is
down to the I* Montevideo statement that implies the Snowden revelations
have broken trust in the US as a neutral oversight for what they do.

But the surveillance issues  will be very hard to change and will run
over a longer period of time than I* seems willing to sanction for
changes over IANA/ICANN . So separation between the many US
jurisdictional activities over Internet issues is built in to the
current direction of travel. Or have I missed something?

Of course high level politics in EU, Brazil and elsewhere could decide
to conflate the issues in order to reach a broader political
understanding. Whether the lack of direct technical linkage would drive
any scoping for multi-stakeholder processes in one corner for Internet
resource management and bi or multi-lateral processes in another in
regards privacy and security across borders is a possibility.

Quite what those corners will look like remains to be seen.

Christian