[discuss] rootservers

Carlos M. Martinez carlosm3011 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 19:46:43 UTC 2014

Hello

On 2/24/14, 1:53 PM, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Steve Crocker <steve at shinkuro.com
> <mailto:steve at shinkuro.com>> wrote:
>
>     Marilyn, et al,
>
>     Thanks.  Two comments about root servers…
>
>     1. A list of which countries have root servers and which do not is
>     the beginning but not the end of the discussion.  The technical
>     question is whether a locale is being served well enough.  "Well
>     enough" is usually measured in terms of delay to get an answer to a
>     look up, e.g. 89 milliseconds, and reliability, e.g. answers are
>     received 99.923% of the time.  (Both of the numbers in the previous
>     sentence are illustrative and not related to any actual measurement.
>      I made them up as I typed.)  On the other hand, many people seem
>     concerned with political questions, e.g. which countries are
>     important enough to have root servers.  It would help the discussion
>     to know what questions are being asked.  The list of root server
>     locations may or may not be relevant.
>

> For me, i am not really about the political aspect, just as you
> indicated the more local the root is the better for us.

Only if you exchange traffic locally. If you do not, the root server
just becomes a nice toy for the ISP hosting it, in some cases it also
becomes a marketing tool.

If your country does not have an IXP, then it is probably best served by
root server copies hosted in the 'nearest' (in network topology sense)
traffic exchange point. In our case (South America), it is the NAP of
the Americas in Miami, just as Patrik pointed out.

In other cases it might be AMS-IX or other IXP in Europe.

cheers!

~Carlos