[discuss] VGNIC-speak (was: rootservers)

Michel Gauthier mg at telepresse.com
Tue Feb 25 00:00:32 UTC 2014

Gregory,
it seems that your difficulty are not the problem, but their
solutions if they are consistant with the 45 years old internet.

At 20:36 24/02/2014, Shatan, Gregory S. wrote:
>For someone who is not interested in the "way servers [etc.] call
>themselves," you are throwing around a lot of terms and acronyms
>most (if not all) of which seem to be used only within a narrow
>group and are not used (or no longer used) or understood by many
>(and in some cases most) on this list, such as (but not limited to):

The "something called the IUCG" is an IETF non-WG mailing list
(http://www.ietf.org/list/nonwg.html).conducting official IETF
business and approved by an IETF Area Director, the IETF Chair, or
the IAB Chair. The terminology created or discussed there is subject
to the IETF intellectual property rights rules as defined in
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5378.txt>RFC 5378 and
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3979.txt>RFC 3979,

The IUCG at IETF is the mailing list of IETF IUsers contributing group.
It specializes in IUsers needs and contributions of its members to
address them within the Internet standardization process (and follows
here ICANN rules to test ità. As per the IETF rules prior to document
a proposed standard it must be discussed, tested, experimented and
reported. This is what they do at the proprer place. I am afraid your
mail shows you are far from the IETF Tao, the internet netiquette,
and MSist perspectives.

>And that is just in one email (there other terms that are either
>archaic, arcane or coined elsewhere in your emails).  The root (so
>to speak) of these terms and the viewpoint they appear to represent
>seem to trace back through VGNIC to something called the IUCG and
>ultimately to JFC Morfin and (at least as inspiration) Louis
>Pouzin.  I'm sure there is a lot of history behind this grouping and
>the development of an alternative vocabulary you use so fluently.

The purpose of the IUCG (http://iucg.org/wiki) is to permit civil
society informed users to contribute to the IETF work in order to
protect their users interest. While most of the IETF participants are
on a payrol, IUCG contributors are voluntaries. In hurting them,
contesting their legimacy and thei MS rights, you are doing all of us
a disservice.

You can disagree with them. Then learn their problem, study their
positions, and propose them alternative solutions.

/1net is a place to discuss, test, and try to sort out what an MS
global governance might be. If it is a place to discuss only what you
know, the way you want, with the inacurate words you chose, these
people will go away and deploy without coordinating. This is called
fragmentation. Do you want it?

In an MS debate what counts is the pertinence of the positions and
the capacity of the participants to assess it.

In a debate on IG, most agree that Govs and TNC (transnational
corporation) are the core issue. If ou can understand Marilyn's DNS
considerations, a TTL (time to live) is familiar to you.Everyone has
learned from Elisabeth what she means by TTR.

M G