[discuss] governments and rule of law (was: Possible approaches to solving...)

Edmon edmon at dotasia.org
Mon Feb 24 23:34:17 UTC 2014

on the question of "doing the right thing" (in the context of icann), perhaps the question is whether the board is the right place to make the decision on what "the right thing" is for the community? are members of the board a conduit of corresponding constituencies? representative of the constituencies as in the concept of a representational democracy? or are they acting independently? or?

suspending judgment based on past performance for a bit... we still need to ask what it is we believe this governance structure "represents". and then perhaps we can consider why and/or whether the ultimate arbiter of "the right thing" should rest with the board?

edmon