[discuss] 1net discuss and VGNICs

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Feb 28 04:27:56 UTC 2014

On Feb 27, 2014, at 8:12 PM, Michel Gauthier <mg at telepresse.com> wrote:

>> I honestly cannot discern any indication of interest by those on the 1net discuss list to expanding the discussion to include governance questions applicable to VGNICS in general (as opposed to simply discussion of governance aspects of the "ICANN VGNIC").
>
> You therefore confirm that you think that this list does to want to discuss the whole Internet Governance issues, which by essence includes the relations between VGNICs, but want to restrict it to the sole ICANN VGNIC?

I have not heard anyone advocate for discussions of relations between VGNICS,
and note that the present problem statement under discussion is specifically
related to ICANN and Internet.

>> Have you considered forming a list for those who wish to discuss VGNICS and IUse in general?
>
> John, from what I clearly gathers there are two published existing lists considering governance issues:
>
> 1. iucg at ietf.org: it is mainly interested in proceeding with making sure that the coming Govs or large private VGNICs projects are carried without disturbing the internet (i.e. respecting ICP-3) and that some common coordination can be discussed. I understand that the time frame is a first IETF Draft by September.

Excellent - I shall subscribe (since I don't seem to get enough email... :-)

> 2. discuss at 1net.org: it is about the Internet governance,

Yes.

> i.e. about the VGNICS intergovernance.

No... can't find any reference to VGNICS on 1net site, only Internet.  You have
chosen to equate the two, but that doesn't mean everyone else subscribes to that
belief system.   If I choose to equate "the Internet" with "intermachine and
inter-gorilla communication", that still would not make it so for everyone else.

I look forward to discussion of your VGNIC ecosystem on the iucg mailing list and
would encourage others to join and participate there.  As Greg pointed out, we seem
to be engaging in needless cross-posting when we have two perfectly good lists for
these topics...

Thanks!
/John

Disclaimer:  My views alone.