[discuss] Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Jan 2 15:22:49 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 02-Jan-14 09:41, Jorge Amodio wrote:

>     Agree Avri, and this is the kind of reasoning that we, from the
>     technical community, must be open enough to agree to explore …. We
>     should not bash out  perceived (or even sometime very real) problems
>     just because no one want to work on new technical challenge that
>     addressing the issue may pose.
>

> Perceived problems are not problems. If you base technical analysis and
> development based on perception you will get perceived solutions.
>
> My .02

Thank you.

When doing risk or impact analysis, however, one has nothing but
perceived problems - it is not until later that one finds out how the
world actually unfolded. Sometimes, when impact analysis, planning,
design and implementation do their job properly, the perceived problems
are dealt with easily.  Sometimes a perceived problem is just a problem
averted. And sometimes a perceive problem is just that, a possible that
never became actual.

In terms of perceived problems, IPv4 has been running out since the
early 1990s - I think that was when I saw the first projections.   With
approximately half of the addresses still unused today, one can ask: to
what extent this particular perceived problem turned into a self
fulfilling prophecy?  So yes, one has to be careful with the risk and
impact analyses to not become so dedicated to ones own perceived problem
set, one actually brings it about.

avri