[discuss] Time to be more precise about Internet Governance

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 01:34:05 UTC 2014

> I tend do agree with Brian on this theme. In some way, ICANN is devoting much of its energy and time to the so called "domain name industry" (btw, I do not see any good reasons for naming it "industry").

Perhaps "industry" may be not the right word but out of almost nothing we are talking about a market of several billions (with a B) which not only includes the domain name trade but many additional services, like property rights and trademark protection, back end services, etc. And we are still during the gold rush phase, as technology evolves (think about how many times you "type" a URL on a tablet or wearable computer) and domain names lose value (I'm sure they will) we are in a run to cash out as much as possible of the system as long as it last.

Then when the whole thing implodes ICANN will change and the circus will move to the next big thing.

-Jorge