[discuss] ICANN policy and "Internet Governance"

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Jan 3 13:47:21 UTC 2014

On 03-Jan-14 03:11, Jorge Amodio wrote:

> One more comment
>>
>> we are doing for ourselves as a multistakeholder organization. The NSA fiasco makes doing ICANN's job harder.  That makes it an Internet governance, for want of a better term, issue.
>
> Why are we focusing so much on the NSA fiasco ? What about the China fiasco, the Russia fiasco, the Turkey fiasco, the India fiasco, the Tunis fiasco, and so on ?

I can think of 2 reasons:

- We in the US are asking people to trust that we are a benign steward,
a trusted neutral broker for the Internet.  I have not heard of the
others you mention do that.

- We in the US have been holier than though about our goodness.

Oh, and a third reason: because it was such a pervasive attack on global
human rights.  None of the other examples have that scope - this was a
pivotal event, despite what we may have known, or not known, about
governments and the way they behave.

avri