[discuss] IANA

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Jan 6 14:09:25 UTC 2014

In message <E3283480-A07C-4384-B572-8BEF9FE78B6F at piuha.net>, at 05:09:59
on Mon, 6 Jan 2014, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko at piuha.net> writes
>I wanted to share some thoughts on how I see IANA, its role and evolution. This is mostly from an IETF perspective, but it also touches on the
>role of IANA for addresses and domain names.
>
> http://www.ietf.org/blog/2014/01/iana/

I'm not sure it's correct to give the impression that ICANN is still
operating the IANA function under the contract awarded to them by DoC
when ICANN was formed. There have been a number of new contracts since
then, which ICANN had to pitch for in a semi-competitive environment.

(I say "semi" because there were numerous constraints, including but not
limited to the well-known one that the successful bidder MUST be based
in the USA).
--
Roland Perry