[discuss] IANA

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Jan 6 14:52:25 UTC 2014

In message <67DA5648-747F-4177-9162-A4765018CE82 at piuha.net>, at 06:23:54
on Mon, 6 Jan 2014, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko at piuha.net> writes
>> I'm not sure it's correct to give the impression that ICANN is still operating the IANA function under the contract awarded to them by DoC
>>when ICANN was formed. There have been a number of new contracts since then, which ICANN had to pitch for in a semi-competitive environment.
>
>I did not want to give that impression, so maybe the text was unclear. There has indeed been new contracts, including, for instance, the one
>between the IETF and ICANN about protocol parameters IANA service.

I wasn't really referring to additional contracts for new things. Just
the main "IANA functions" contract re-awarded by DoC to run from 1st
October 2012.

The text I was querying is:

"As part of the formation of the Internet Corporation of Names and
Numbers (ICANN) and transfer of functions to it, the US Department of
Commerce awarded ICANN a contract to perform the IANA function. That
contract still exists..."

A successor contract still exists, perhaps?

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/page/iana-functions-purchase-order

The re-tendering is a vital bit of IG machinery.
--
Roland Perry