[discuss] IANA

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon Jan 6 15:05:08 UTC 2014

Jari,

thank you for quickly coming on the 1NET list before the debate
starts on you being on it or not!

There are a few oddities in this draft that can be discussed at leisure.

However, one is directly under your authority: "Currently the
maintenance, implementation and publication of most of the IETF
protocol Registries is performed by the Internet Corporation for
Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)."

After the What and the Who, on expected the How. However, we only get
a "most" and an ICANN. Where/how are published the others?

Actually, what would be really needed is the IANA as a Database or as
a File (as ISO does it) possibly ISO 11179  conformant. Any chance,
in any future? Or is this to be externally  produced?

BTW, has ICANN a monopoly on the IANA data? Or do they belong to the
USDoC (what the General Accountant doubted it did)? Or the IPR are
claimed by ISOC? Or is it on a parameter by parameter basis depending
on the date? (It is just that the authors of ".com" and ".uk" could
claim some royalties ...)

Best
jfc