[discuss] Subjects IG other than ICANN, IETF, IPv4-6

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at ccianet.org
Mon Jan 6 16:34:34 UTC 2014

Dear All,

There seems to be a great deal of discussion about the more traditional IG subjects, but not much about the new realities imposed upon the entire field by the Snowden revelations. This seems to me to be a bit of missing the forest for the trees.

IG is now a head-of-state level issue because of surveillance, and I can tell you from dealing with delegations in Geneva (where the majority of member-state IG meetings are held every year), that is where the focus of interest lies, not in ICANN or names and numbers. In particular:

* Efforts at the national level to prevent surveillance are mostly harmful to the Internet.
* There are new discussions starting on surveillance at the Human Rights Council, though it is not yet clear (to the HRC staff, as of December) exactly what the work plan will consist of, other than of course the report Navi Pillay is obliged to do coming from the UNGA resolution on the subject.
* UNESCO is going to start on this issue soon, thanks to the decision of the Executive Board in late December
* We (those concerned with the Internet in the largest sense) have until March to work with countries on the WSIS follow-up process). Who is engaged and what is the state of play?

Last, but not least: The Brazil meeting itself, which I feel sure will have very little to say about the IETF, IANA, IPv4 or IPv6.

We did have a thread going about principles, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside.

I am not suggesting the 'traditional' subjects aren't important. What I am saying is that  - surveillance, and matters connected to it (whether actually or for political convenience) are the main event right now. Shouldn't we turn ourselves at least partially to these things?

There are NGOs who have not traditionally concerned themselves with IG who are well-versed in these other venues. Are any of them here? If not, do we know them and can we get them to subscribe?