[discuss] Heads up on Brazil meeting preparation
adiel at afrinic.net
Mon Jan 6 19:03:00 UTC 2014
I have been invited (for /1Net) to attend a status update meeting between the representatives of the Brazil meeting's LOG and ICANN last Friday. Here are some key points discussed during the meeting:
- Hosting of the meeting: the government of Brazil is leading this aspect and is in bilateral discussion with few other countries so for the event to be hosted not only by Brazil but jointly with these countries. More update on this is normally expected this week or next.
- Chairing of the meeting: It was discussed and agreed that the multistakeholder aspect of the meeting should be properly reflected in it chairmanship as well. So it wont be only ICANN and Brazil who will chair but at least two other people will be proposed to join as co-chair of the meeting.
- Stakeholder groups: The issue of confusion in the the grouping of stakeholders has been discussed and it is expected that a clarification on this comes from the LOG. But the suggestion is to keep the break down as originally announced (4 groups: CS, Business, Technical and Academia) so not to induce further delay in the nominations.
- Because time is against us, the LOG has expressed its hope to have all the committees launched on January 10th. Which will have a direct implication of not having all stakeholders' representatives appointed by then. It was suggested to go with what is ready by the 10th, and start some preliminaries discussions while the rest join by mid January.
- The LOG has clearly expressed their preference to have /1net as their only interface for dealing with the rest of the community in general. Obviously to avoid having to deal directly with each and everyone separately.
- A meeting is planned in Brazil on the 10th to kick-off the committees and
begin addressing key organizing issues in order to provide some further specific information related to the whole planning. Arrangement is being made to have remote participation to that meeting for already appointed committee members who will not be able to travel to in Sao Paulo.
That is all I have for now.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 313 bytes
Desc: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail
More information about the discuss