[discuss] Where to discuss privacy issues 1Net? [ICANN policy and "Internet Governance"]

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 20:24:22 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 1:23 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+1net at elandsys.com> wrote:

> Hi Seun,
>
> At 09:13 04-01-2014, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
>
>> Oh yes, there is definitely a rights issue here.
>>

> It is not clear which group is responsible for discussing about the
> issue(s).
>
> This bring me to wonder, shouldn't this list (1Net) be an avenue to
discuss such. Isn't privacy an IG issue? I had raised this before on this
list but it seem not to interest folks much and i really wonder why privacy
talks is at the current "status quo". Considering "snowden" (which is
largely bent on privacy) was one of the catalyst for the emergence of this
whole governance issue uproar(including the BR event).

>  A draft which is still largely controversial [1,2] with moves against
>> implementation draft of the draft at its current state [3]. We can only
>> look forward to the outcome of the AU meeting this month where it is
>> expected to be ratified[4].
>>

> Thanks for the references.  The petition gathered 147 signatures.  A
> search does not show that many comments from businesses.  I could not find
> any comment from civil society or organizations which might not consider
> themselves as part of civil society.  It would be difficult to argue that
> businesses, civil society, etc. do not find the draft acceptable.

Yeah the figure is quite interesting and surprising to me; i would expect
if this cannot be discussed within 1NET(considering 1NET is mainly for
global issues), it should at least be on tops agenda of IG platforms within
Africa. From a few IG list which i belong where this information was
shared, all what people said was "they are not aware such thing existed".
Fortunately, you now know so what is to be done about it? Unless we are all
waiting for its implementation before crying foul which will ofcourse be
unfortunate. Otherwise SM's resolve will then be valid.

This may have already been given the necessary attention on other platform
(which i don't know) and i will appreciate pointer to such efforts

Cheers!

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*