[discuss] Transiting e-mails

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 20:01:17 UTC 2014

On 09/01/2014 07:35, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 12:05 AM, Brian E Carpenter <
> brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:

>> aMichel, it isn't a question of caring or not caring. The issue is
>> technical: the Internet is a datagram network, not a circuit-switched
>>  network,
>

> May i assume that you are suggesting the technical solution is a
> circuit-switched network? as that will be like making the goal of govt
> easier as i don't think this will benefit end users in any way (I am open
> to be convinced otherwise)

It might be a bit easier to decide where to listen for the traffic of
a given individual in an X.25 network, but really I don't think it
makes much difference in the end. As you may be aware, the British
cut a lot of undersea cables at the start of both World War I and
World War 2, to ensure that enemy diplomatic telegrams would often pass
through England. In that sense, a circuit switched network has
benefits for surveillance. So even if it gives Michel the knowledge
that his messages don't go through America, the Americans will know
better which way they do go, making them easy enough to intercept.

   Brian