[discuss] I* or ISTAR was Re: [] [] Fwd: Heads up

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Jan 8 23:21:42 UTC 2014

On 08-Jan-14 17:39, John Curran wrote:> I believe it emerged as
short-hand for referencing a set of
 > organizations that
 > predominantly begin with the letter "I" [ISOC, ICANN, IAB, IANA, etc.],
 > with
 > "*" being used in typical pattern matching context.

Over the years I have mused about this as well since the ITU, IEEE and
variety of ISP organizations also start with 'I' and the NRO and RIRs
don't.  I then decided that it actually referred to the 'Internet
STewardship Active Resources'  that kept the Internet operating, indeed
the ISTAR.

Was not sure which list this should have been sent to since it came in
on so many of them.  I won't ask people to pay attention to the constant
requests for trimming headers, because I found that sort of request
falls on deaf eyes.

avri