[discuss] Constructive responses to surveillance at the intl level (WAS Re: ICANN policy and "Internet Governance")

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 17:23:41 UTC 2014

Peter,

thanks for putting this together.

For ref. 15 on transnational law-making one can enrich the background with
the work of Anne Marie Slaughter and several other scholars. It happens for
the environment, banking, organized crime, and many other fields.

Your text is very valuable. It does provide additional foundation that,
until and unless governments the world over enact and enforce laws much
strict than the present, the Brazil-Germany-initiated UN resolution on
privacy will remain a Manual of Good Manners for snooping-inclined
governments. The fundamental next step to take is acting at the national
level to cause the laws to be enacted and enforced, and for national
governments to stand up to other countries' intelligence efforts.That is
"Snooping Governance" or "Surveillance Governance" and it covers the
telephone, mobile, as well as movements and meetings in meatspace, not only
the Internet. Snowflakes in hell, anyone?

Alejandro Pisanty

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 10:15 AM, Peter H. Hellmonds <
peter.hellmonds at hellmonds.eu> wrote:

> On 10/01/2014 12:32, Dr. Ben Fuller wrote:
> > there is probably already an international treaty or resolution at
> > https://www.treaties.un.org dealing with privacy of communications.
>
> Thank you for the suggestion to check on an international privacy
> treaty, Ben. It's been a very interesting exercise, even though I need
> to add the caveat that I am not a member of the legal profession, but
> only an interested lay person.
>
> Summary (for those who don't want to read my full and lengthy commentary):
>
> There is such an international treaty, the ICCPR, it has been signed and
> ratified by the US Senate, but it does not create a law of the nation
> that can be independently executed, and Congress has not passed any
> enabling legislation. The US has already been notified by the UN HRC
> that this is not ok, and a review will take place in March this year.
>
> Full commentary below.
> (Referenced URLs have been included at the bottom for better readybility.)
>
> The resolution on "The right to privacy in the digital age" that Brazil
> and Germany proposed and which the General Assembly adopted at the UN
> (1) was referring to such an international treaty dealing with privacy
> of communications, namely the International Covenant on Civil and
> Political Rights (ICCPR).(2)
>
> It has been noted by the US Senate that "The Covenant is part of the
> international community's early efforts to give the full force of
> international law to the principles of human rights embodied in the
> Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the United Nations Charter.
> The Civil and Political Rights Covenant is rooted in western legal and
> ethical values. The rights guaranteed by the Covenant are similar to
> those guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights." (4.1)
>
> Ben is right that the NSA does not have to directly pay attention to
> such a treaty. However, through ratification in the US Congress, usually
> (in theory) such treaties become part of the law of the nation.
>
> In such a case, the President, who is the Chief of the Executive Branch
> of Government, and who takes an oath of office to protect the
> Constitution (and the laws of the land), would need to tell his
> executive agencies, including the NSA, to follow the law created through
> ratification of such a treaty and through follow-on enactment of
> national laws giving power to such treaty stipulations.
>
> However, here comes the caveat. While the US did sign and ratify that
> treaty in 1992, they did also include a number of reservations,
> understandings, and declarations. (3)
>
> The first of the declarations states:
> "(1) That the United States declares that the provisions of Articles 1
> through 27 of the Covenant are not self-executing." (4)
>
> As a clarification, the Senate added in its report on the deliberations:
> "For reasons of prudence, we recommend including a declaration that the
> substantive provisions of the Covenant are not self-executing. The
> [...]

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD
+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn,
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty