[discuss] Where to discuss privacy issues 1Net? [ICANN policy and "Internet Governance"]

S Moonesamy sm+1net at elandsys.com
Sat Jan 11 09:51:02 UTC 2014

Hi David,
At 19:57 07-01-2014, David Cake wrote:
>         Interests in ICANN and privacy aren't
> exactly mutually exclusive, either (he says the
> day after his first weekly phone meeting for
> the ICANN GNSO Privacy and proxy provider
> accreditation working group for the year).
>A lot of privacy related discussion goes on
>within ICANN.  But it isn't about privacy in the
>abstract, it is mostly about specific issues
>related to WHOIS and registrant data, which can
>manifest in a whole bunch of ways. For example,
>privacy was a big point of discussion related to
>recent changes to the registrar agreement,
>specifically how registrant verification
>provisions related to national privacy obligations, etc.
>         There are some very important privacy
> discussions happening at ICANN, and I'd urge
> anyone with a strong interest in privacy policy
> to get involved. We could do with a few more.
> Many of us spend a lot of our ICANN time looking at privacy issues.

My (quick) reading of the discussion is that it
seems to be above privacy and proxy
services.  One of the comments caught my attention:

  'We have addressed proxy and privacy services on several occasions
   to request them to reveal to us the identity of the domain name
   holder, but they have refused to do so, arguing that they can only
   disclose that information to "law enforcement agencies" (aren´t we
   one of those?) or to "a state or federal court located in the United
   States".'

I didn't find any discussion about national privacy obligations.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy