[discuss] cgi.br release regarding Brazil Global MSM on Internet Governance

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 11:13:41 UTC 2014

Hi Roland

On Jan 12, 2014, at 11:24 AM, Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

> In message <B6A6E656-9317-4FE8-8188-9F7046D9A2B0 at gmail.com>, at 10:35:12 on Sun, 12 Jan 2014, William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com> writes
>> There’s clearly a potential tension here that may not be resolved to everyone’s satisfaction.  For the 1Net SC to only act as a conduit to LOG per Seun, there’d have to be agreement on which peak associations/networks can nominate.  But we see not only with CS but also business that there are folks saying who decided that only xyz peak association/network can nominate?  So if the SC simply passes along those nominations, it may get accused of deciding to exclude others, thereby demonstrating that 1Net is a grand design of dark unaccountable forces to control the universe, etc.
>
> If the SC passes them all on, how does an exclusion arise?

Again, if xyz networks give the SC nominations we’re supposed to just pass on, what do we do if we receive nominations from abc networks?  Are you suggesting we just send everything and kick the can down the road to the LOG?  I don’t think they want it, but sure, I suppose we could be utterly unhelpful like this.  Maybe they’ll anyway receive nominations from CS networks that don’t want to work through this process, as discussed elsewhere.

>> If instead we say ok anyone can nominate and the 1Net SC should do due diligence and select to ensure diversity and inclusion per Avri, then the SC has to pick among contending nominations.  In which case it may get accused of deciding to exclude others, thereby demonstrating that 1Net is a grand design of dark unaccountable forces to control the universe, etc.
>>
>> As a member of the SC, I’m not excited about the prospect of us being put in position where we will stand accused no matter what we do.
>
> You (the SC) have two options, as you describe above.

Right, and I’m asking that people come to some consensus about which one we should do…?

> Which of the two tasks did LOC ask you to perform?

You’re on the same mailing lists I am, you know the LOG hasn’t taken it upon itself to be specific about 1Net’s internal modalities.  They said send the nominations, full stop.

Bill