[discuss] cgi.br release regarding Brazil Global MSM on Internet Governance

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 08:36:30 UTC 2014

jfc

If you’re going to cross-post things said on one list to another with a different audience and discussion going on, it would be better form to not cherry pick what you're quoting.  For context, the comment below was in reply to Fadi’s statement in the interview,

> "The world is seeking and growing ever more anxious to see an independent,
> globally-accountable ICANN where no one government, no one organization, no
> one individual has oversight or rights higher than the others,” Chehade
> says. “I believe this is fundamental to the spirit of the Internet as well.
> Equal footing for all stakeholders engaged in the management and governance
> of this global resource.”
>
> http://siliconangle.com/blog/2014/01/10/icanns-fadi-chehade-says-we-have-18-months-to-find-new-governance-for-a-single-internet-or-else/?angle=silicon

On might have thought that statements like this and related moves, along with the Montevideo declaration language on globalization, would lead certain CS people to pause and reconsider a little the narrative they're spinning about the supposed strategies of imperialist forces and the false consciousness and culpability of civil society collaborationists who would like an actual multistakeholder platform to work.  After all, the direction being pushed in addresses their central long-standing complaint, and the resistance to it now comes from other directions where folks are not convinced of the need or comfortable with the possible pace—another MS dialogue that needs to happen.  Nevertheless, some CS folks refuse to take yes for an answer when there’s other agendas in play, so singing the same old song they’ve been stuck on since 2003 is preferred. I guess there’s a whole structure of incentives that remains powerful.  This is frustrating and may help to preclude the very outcome they claim to favor, but who’s got the bandwidth to spend all day every day responding to this stuff.  It’d be easier to convince creationists to consider the evidence for evolution. I’m reluctantly coming to the conclusion that nothing can be done about it so the reality-based community just needs to go forward regardless and live with the catcalls etc.

As for the rest below, um, er, ok, thanks.

Best

Bill

On Jan 12, 2014, at 8:22 PM, JFC Morfin <jefsey at jefsey.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> 2. the same validation and possible enhancement consistency process should be carried out and permanently continued in every area of the digisphere (i.e. the digital part of reality) in order to ensure the human right to a complete decent, efficient, and protected entire life.
>
> This will digitally extend the multi-globally fully interoperable human + bots diversity where every person is on an equal footing with every other person.
>
> NB. The US is not particularly implied in all this (except exercising entrepreneurship in that area without sufficiently imagining the consequences): it is only that the American language did not help the conceptual transition from a uniform to a diversified global space. This is embodied in the Internetting project (IEN 48) by the “loose sense” appropriately given by Vint Cerf to the word “local”. Transition was in the evolution of the sense to be innovatively applied to “local”. However, a “loose sense” is not something that developers, politicians, salespeople, and computers understand or agree upon easily. So instead to apply to trades, virtualities, other technologies, competitive alternatives, etc. “local” stayed uniquely geographically monopolistic.
>

>> At 10:35 12/01/2014, William Drake wrote:
>> Volunteering to try and help facilitate a process shouldnt require body armor.
>
> I am afraid that humans being humans, it is the rule everywhere.
>
> The reason why is, from experience, the inability of humans to understand each other in changing contexts, and moreover when people must understand each other over the specific improvement of the context.
>
> You have those who want to carry the change, those who want to protect their status, and those who are waiting in order to see what happens. It is very frustrating for the first ones to be delayed, opposed, and passed over by the second ones who benefit from their positions, and not to be supported by the third ones who feel that they do not know enough to decide who is right.
>
> I found, however, that you may avoid the weight of the body armor, enjoy the human show, and obtain what you want in trying to understand what really happens and use brainware (networked assisted cooperation) hacks. This is why I plead for software (organizational) and hardware (material) work that may help in demonstrating your point of view without having to resort to martyrdom.
>
> The IETF prefers “running code” to “kings, presidents, and voting” (you could also add “christs”). One can give a pretty scientifically acceptable explanation why and a successfully experienced “how to” guide, but this will be for another day.

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  ICANN, www.ncuc.org