[discuss] Another couple of items

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Jan 14 03:58:41 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 14 January 2014 04:05 AM, Avri Doria wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At risk of being labelled an Ig professional, which sounds like a bad
> thing to be, I wish to comment a little.
>
> On 13-Jan-14 17:01, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> I've posted another couple of items that may be of interest.
>>
>> https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~brian/ClassifyingLandscape.pdf
>

>> Three types of issue:
>> 1. Matters of public interest regardless of the Internet;
>> 2. Matters of some public interest specifically linked to
>> the Internet (“boundary issues”);
>> 3. Technical matters of limited public interest
>
> Here I think you miss one type which varies from you others:
>
> 4. Issues that while of public interest regardless, are transformed by
> the Internet.

I agree. Category one of Brian is in fact not relevant as being
completely outside of the IG space that is to be considered here... His
category one should be replaced by the category suggested by Avri. And
so I will count the categories as

1. Issues of wide public interest on which the Internet has a
significant impact (a modified version of Avri's type) - this has been
called as the space of Internet-related public policies by the Tunis agenda

2. Boundary or interface issues -  Issues at the boundary/interface of
(1) and (3) or those that provide linkages between the two - and
possibly some higher level principles can be abstracted in a manner that
while public policy considerations are fulfilled, the needed
independence of the technical management of the Internet is protected
(modifed version of Brain's 2) (please also see the formulation in para
69 and 70 of Tunis agenda)

3. Technical matters which can largely be undertaken on some kind of
purely efficiency related and such neutral criteria, on within larger
clearly codified public policy principles.

It will be useful to agree on some kind of categories of issues before
we go the needed / appropriate institutional mechanisms to address them...

parminder