[discuss] Interesting article

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Jan 14 15:02:05 UTC 2014

On Jan 14, 2014, at 11:42 PM, Jorge Amodio wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 8:20 AM, Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
> In message <CAMzo+1bYKXDJVt_zckNGnacn32j4qwEXXGsV8L3YMo2tsYd3XQ at mail.gmail.com>, at 07:37:24 on Tue, 14 Jan 2014, Jorge Amodio <jmamodio at gmail.com> writes
>
> I'm not sure what do you mean about "requirements of US government".
>
> If you read the tender documents for the latest IANA contract, you'll find quite a bit of (very US-centric) stuff about the required geographic credentials of any qualifying organisation (and certain of its staff).
>
> I read all 65 pages of it, and this is true ONLY as the contractor for the IANA function, regardless if it is ICANN or not.
>
> Being ICANN the contractor has probably some positives, but on the other hand confuses a lot of people since the role as a contractor and policy development and other roles are (or are supposed to be) totally separate.
>
> So if you abstract the IANA contract, besides the requirements as US/California non-profit corporation there are no other requirements from the USG.
>
> So the US-centric issue is not ICANN, but IANA.

Check the affirmation of commitments <http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/aoc/affirmation-of-commitments-30sep09-en.htm>

8. ICANN affirms its commitments to: ... (b) remain a not for profit corporation, headquartered in the United States of America with offices around the world to meet the needs of a global community; (end quote)

Now this is a good topic for the meeting in Brazil: globalization of ICANN, what a new affirmation of commitments might look like (building on what we've got, which doesn't look so bad), how to design a new host country agreement, etc.  Add globalization of the IANA functions and there are two pretty heavy topics.  Take a lot more time than we have between now and April 23-24, but can make a start in Brazil.

Adam