[discuss] Another couple of items

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Jan 14 15:32:00 UTC 2014

In message
<CAMzo+1bqveQUkSu01DBXSybx31s+WQ_qUKo1x0SB6FPY4=Judg at mail.gmail.com>, at
09:01:36 on Tue, 14 Jan 2014, Jorge Amodio <jmamodio at gmail.com> writes

>SPAM, bulk junk mail, telemarketing calls, etc, IMHO exist because
>there are people paying for it. When the ROI does not justify the
>marketing expense anymore it will go away... I remember getting lots of
>faxes at some time.

Most Spam is no longer about selling you things. It's about sending you
to sites containing drive-by malware, or trying to steal credentials
through phishing, etc.

>One alternative is to take actions to increase the costs of sending
>SPAM

I don't think we have the time or energy to re-run the entire debate
about what might or might not be a good way to reduce Spam, but that is
widely understood not to be a solution.
--
Roland Perry