[discuss] Interesting article

nathalie coupet nathaliecoupet at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 14 16:03:37 UTC 2014

Hello All,

Could you explain how removing a country from the Internet in the root zone would not prevent this country from being connected to the Internet?

The USA has never used this technical possibility to remove a country from the Internet (US DOC authorizes ICANN via an IANA contract, to manage the root zone).[1] In addition, even if the US makes this move in the future, it will have little impact, since the DNS system is robust and decentralized enough to sustain any changes in the root zone file, at least in the short term perspective.

Thanks,

Nathalie